It’s easy to overlook the signs your vehicle exhibits when shocks and struts are starting to show wear. In fact, these signs are often mistaken for different engine problems, but if more than one are encountered, it’s time to bring your car in for evaluation and service.
1. Poor steering response – If it takes more effort to steer or a delay occurs, this is an indicator that new struts or shocks may be necessary. Stiffness and new noises when steering are also clear indicators that shocks or struts need replacement.
2. Instability while breaking – A change in braking behavior is another sign that your vehicle needs service. This may not mean new brakes are necessary, as this symptom could be a direct result of worn shocks or struts.
3. Uneven tire wear – In a vehicle in peak condition, wear will occur across all tires evenly, but when shocks or struts require replacement, cupped and uneven wear will occur. Look to the tires to determine if there could be an issue.
4. Excessive vehicle bounce – Should your vehicle bounce excessively while turning or stopping, shocks and struts may be the culprit. If this condition is a recent occurrence, it’s time to bring it in to your trusted auto repair shop for an evaluation.
5. Leakage – Is fluid leaking from the shock or struts? This is a clear indicator that service is required and eventual replacement may be the result.
Other than the above indicators, pay attention to the visual signs. Examine your vehicle for possible problems. Noticeable fluid leaks, dented mounts, or damaged shocks and struts are clear signs that trouble is brewing. Cupping; an unusual tire wearing, may also be an indicator that it’s time not only to replace the shocks and struts, but also the tires. Vehicle handling changes are another clue as to the condition of your vehicle. Shaky and bumpy rides, poor steering response, stiffness and instability when braking, and swaying are signs that it’s time for new shocks and struts. Bringing in your vehicle for a diagnostic will assure that all potential maintenance issues will be addressed and resolved in both a timely and cost-effective manner. Don’t forget to consider your vehicle’s mileage. After 50,000 miles, most cars require replacement shocks and struts. Every 50,000 miles thereafter should spark a maintenance appointment. Trust Master Tech Automotive to get you back on the road quickly, making sure your vehicle is safe for you and your family. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or simply to ask car advice. We’re happy to help!